Sunday, February 26, 2006

backing up my world

I've been thinking a lot about backing up, in two different ways, today. First, after watching some heartbreak over lost photos, I had to come to terms with the fact that I have no back-ups and the worst file management system going. So I started working on that today. It's always so overwhelming, but I decided to take one simple year and get my act together. 2005 is now reviewed, with garbage deleted, and appropriate back-ups made. I also took the whole 2004-05 swim team file and moved it to disk, saving just a couple dozen of my favorites of Will and/or the team. Reduced my library from 8200 to 6200 images in total. Everything prior to September 2004 is on the upstairs computer. That will be the real challenge to sort through since iphoto malfunctioned some time ago and dumped files all over the computer.

Then, as I was looking at last year's images, as well as this year's, I see that the 50mm really has me in-camera cropping much closer, especially as I've been using it almost exclusively in the house. I love the results, but everything is so up close that there is very little variety in my work. So, it's a Back Up Baby Sunday here.

I took this one yesterday and have been fiddling with it. After the last post and its even lighting, I wanted to play with more dramatic lighting a bit. I went for a half sepia, vintage look, but I'm losing some of the beauty and drama in the upload...I need to figure that mess out. I think it has something to do with the embedded color, but I'm not sure. Grr...so much to learn.

Tech: ISO 200, 1/100, f 1.8, late afternoon light pouring into the dining room from the west

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS AND TEXT ARE THE PROPERTY OF AND COPYRIGHTED BY LAURA BROPHY. DO NOT COPY OR SAVE TO YOUR COMPUTER.